Sunday, March 4, 2012

I Heart Sundays!

I look forward to Sundays!

The day itself makes me feel good inside --- waking up bright and early by my sweetheart, exercising as I help my blood circulate filling myself with God's gift of oxygen, getting ready for church, listening to Sunday service, walking side by side with my husband and by lunch time, a visit to the local farmers market to shop for the sweetest fruits and most nutritious vegetables!

Today was no different, except that my husband had to work so I was not able to do our food shopping with him... That's always a bummer, but on a lighter note -- we were able to spend the morning together.

I have a few farm favorites and usually stock basics such as apples, oranges and strawberries. Ideally, I'd buy all our vegetables at the market. However, I have learned not to stock too much in order not to waste whatever we buy. If I have our meals planned for the day, then I buy them there; otherwise, I wait and just visit our local grocery stores -- Pavillions, Trader Joes or Whole Foods.

Anyway, at noon I went to the market and bought a few things:

Apples from Moriah Farms - they have the sweetest, most delicious apples (pink lady and fuji)

Nova oranges from Gonzaga Farms - I am a HUGE fan of their produce! They always have fruits that are in season. I always look forward to their persimmon in the fall! A few weeks ago, they had the best oranges, called "sweet-sweet" (name is very Filipino! haha!) Too bad they are no longer in season, but these novas are pretty good. I also bought the pomelos from them.

Strawberries (freshly picked) from Brummers Farms - they have the sweetest, most juicy strawberries! They have fruit stands in Huntington Beach as well -- If I'm not mistaken, they are located by Warner and Airport Road (I still have to find where that is).  You see, I purchase quite a lot of these because I freeze them and use that to make our healthy & delicious protein shakes!

We got this recyclable bag from Kahuku Farms in Oahu, Hawaii. If you are ever in the North Shore, we highly recommend you visit their farm. It's family owned and a really nice and encouraging experience to see how they grow their fruits -- made us want to grow our own. Unfortunately, we don't have land to do that. 


After the farmers market, I headed to our local Pavillions to get a few items that are pretty much staples in our home.  As you can see, there are organic items and others that are considered 'processed.' It is always best to get those that are organic/ not processed, but at the same time at least for us, we try to get what is cost effective and also fewer in calories to keep our caloric intake within our daily needs.

We always have those in the pictures in stock -- unsweetened almond milk for my shakeology, sugar free instant oatmeal, sugar free Smuckers jelly, Oven Joy whole wheat bread (90 calories for 2 slices), tomatoes and peppers for soups and pizzas (see my recipe page), tortillas and pizza crust -- which we both use for pizzas. The tortilla is low carb and only has 50 calories per serving (1 tortilla).


I also bought $6 worth of bananas! Again, I use most of these for my Shakeology smoothies, which is delicious! I usually buy the ones that are a bit 'weathered' by themselves because oftentimes, they are most ripe! In addition, I think that they might go to waste if no one pays attention -- they have the same nutritional value after all!


Happy Sunday!






No comments:

Post a Comment