
(Image from: http://settingcaptivesfree.me/2012/01/13/)
I always keep in touch with my family in Manila. Yesterday, I spoke to my mom and she shared that she fasted for "Ash Wednesday." Growing up Catholic this signifies the start of Lent. It is day one of the forty days when Catholics reflect on Jesus' sacrifices and God's ultimate sacrifice of giving His only Son to die on the cross for us to forgive us of our sins.
As a sacrifice on Ash Wednesday, she decided to only have one meal for the day.
I've had many conversations with the Lord where I always confess my weakness/ challenge or whatever others want to call it. Truthfully, I have been guilty of gluttony! I know it sounds awful! But it is true. I LOVE food and sometimes cannot get enough of it -- mainly junk food/ sweets/ pastries and anything that has extra calories that I am not supposed to eat.
Also, in the past, I have asked Him for strength to overcome this weakness of mine. Other times, I have promised to go on a fast that I have broken. I remember going on a fast in 2008 and only had liquids for almost one week until I really could not function anymore and had some solid food to fuel my daily activities.
The other day, I was on (yes) Facebook and a friend's status said "What do I give up for forty days?"
Well, that got me thinking and I asked myself the same question... Really, what can I give up? What is so meaningful or so tempting to me that it would really be a HUGE challenge to give up but at the same time, a sacrifice I can really offer to God?
Well, as you can tell in my previous posts... It would be sugar and junk I have weaknesses for!
I thought about it as I know I should not promise anything I cannot keep. But at the same time, I know that if I make it a commitment and am able to follow through, that would mean so much to me and I am confident, to the Big Boss as well.
So, today --- I considered day 1 of 40 days of sacrifice.
To follow me, please click on "Forty Days of Sacrifice" under my page links.
To follow me, please click on "Forty Days of Sacrifice" under my page links.
No comments:
Post a Comment